Find Out If You Have a Case
Truck Accident Lawyer — Whittier, CA
Truck accidents occur on a daily basis. Getting into a collision with one can be frightening and disorienting. If you’ve been involved in a trucking accident, you’re probably uncertain what to do next.
First, know that you’re not alone. There are more than 987,000 medium to heavy-duty semi-trucks registered in California. With so many motor vehicles on the road at any given time, accidents are bound to happen.
As Whittier residents ourselves, Greenleaf Law Group is on your side in pursuing a claim for your accident. Our Whittier truck accident lawyers have the knowledge and resources needed to get you the compensation you deserve.
Here’s what you need to know before pursuing your personal or vehicular damage case.
Involved in a Whittier Semi Truck Accident? Follow These Six Steps
Your accident has probably left you shaken up and unsure of where to turn.
There are six simple but important steps an accident victim MUST take immediately following a truck accident. Make sure you follow each in order to have your best chance of a successful settlement later on.
Step One: Safety First
If you’re able to drive your vehicle, pull it to the shoulder of the road. If the vehicle is dangerous to drive, put on the emergency lights and go to a safe location before taking the next steps. Remember: safety always comes first.
Step Two: Call 911
As soon as you’re in a safe spot, call the police. Report the accident. Try to remain calm so that you can get your information to the dispatcher as quickly as possible.
Step Three: Make Sure the Police Complete and Sign a Report
A signed accident report is your most important proof that the accident occurred. Even if there are people around who have volunteered to be witnesses, it’s important to make sure the report is filled out by the authorities before they leave the scene.
Step Four: Exchange Information
It’s best to get a picture of the truck driver’s license, registration and insurance information. If you don’t have your phone with you, ask to see the documents and write the information down. Collect the same information for any other parties who were also involved in the accident.
You are also required by law to give your information to the other driver(s) at the time of the accident.
Step Five: Take Pictures of the Scene
Take pictures of any damage to your vehicle. If possible, also take pictures of the truck, as well as the license plate.
Step Six: Go to a Hospital or Your Doctor
It’s important to seek immediate medical care as quickly as possible following a truck collision. There are two reasons for this:
- You might not immediately feel hurt. This is due to the body’s shock response to an accident. What this means is that you may be more injured than you think.
- If you are injured, you will want to pursue compensation for medical bills or lost wages. Documentation that shows you quickly sought medical care will help your case.
Step Seven: Call Greenleaf Law Group
Don’t be talked into “calling the driver later” or giving information to the other driver other than what is required, as outlined in the above steps. You need an experienced legal team on your side to guide you through this challenging process. An experienced Whittier truck accident lawyer will be able to guide you with the necessary information.Get Your FREE Consultation
How Much Will Your Claim Be Worth?
You may be worried about medical bills or the cost of repairing (or replacing) your vehicle. Depending upon the damages and who is at fault, victims of 18-wheeler and semi truck accidents could receive compensation for any of the following:
- Medical expenses
- Medical treatment bills
- Loss of work/wages
- Damage to your vehicle
- Emotional suffering
- Permanent injury
The value of a truck or car accident case depends on a variety of factors. Every accident is different from one another. Therefore, it is impossible to give an estimate without prior access to the details. If you are curious about how much your truck or car accident case is worth, schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced truck accident lawyers.
If You’re Sure the Accident Wasn’t Your Fault, Do You Need a Lawyer?
Yes. Laws change all the time, and small errors in filing your paperwork while pursuing your case could lead to costly consequences. The right Whittier truck accident lawyer can help you with the following:
- Increase chances of winning your truck accident claim. Industry data shows that people who hire a truck accident lawyer earn three times the compensation compared to people who go for it alone.
- Experience with similar personal injury cases. Every accident is different and filing a claim against the truck driver or the trucking company can be confusing. However, an experienced truck accident lawyer can guide you through the process so you avoid common pitfalls that will negatively affect your case.
- Risk-free assessment and case management. Because you’re going through enough worry right now, Greenleaf Law Group offers you FREE consultations – and you won’t need to pay any legal fees unless we win your case.
Truck accidents are stressful to deal with and often involve long hours of negotiation with insurance agents. Let us help relieve your burdens. For a free case evaluation with a truck accident lawyer serving Whittier accident victims, contact our personal injury law firm today!
Most Common Causes for Truck Accidents
Collisions with 18-wheelers or tractor trailer trucks happen for many of the same reasons as other car accidents. However, damage ensuing from truck accidents can be much more severe, especially if the other vehicle is smaller than the truck, like passenger vehicles or motorcycles.
Some of the most common reasons for truck collisions are:
Speeding. This could apply to either driver. Commercial truck drivers may run behind schedule or have other reasons for not obeying the speed limit. Similarly, other motorists in Whittier sometimes exceed the speed limit for many of the same reasons as truck drivers.
Driver Fatigue. Being overly-tired slows reflexes and makes drivers less aware of their surroundings. Truck drivers may be especially susceptible to fatigue, as they often drive for long periods of time.
Tailgating. Most large trucks take longer to slow down than smaller trucks or cars. Therefore, if drivers tailgate, they won’t be able to break in time to prevent truck collisions.
Driving under the influence. Alcohol-related vehicle injuries account for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the U.S. Drug use, as well as taking prescribed medications, also contribute to intoxicated driving accidents.
Inexperienced truck drivers. While commercial truck drivers must obtain a license to operate their vehicle, newer drivers may make “rookie” mistakes such as cutting other cars off or not knowing when to brake.
Inexperienced auto driver or motorcycle rider. As with inexperienced truck drivers, a newer car driver may not be able to gauge what a “wide” turn is or may change lanes suddenly in front of a truck that can’t slow down in time.FREE Consultation
You Need to Prove the Other Driver Was at Fault
Proving fault, known as “liability,” is important in order for you to be eligible for recovering compensation from the driver of the other vehicle.
An experienced Whittier truck accident lawyer will work to prove the following for your case:
- Duty of care: You must prove that truck driver had a responsibility to act in a reasonably safe manner.
- Breach of duty: You must prove that the driver failed to act responsibly, resulting in injury to you.
- Causation: It can be complicated to try to prove who caused the accident. An experienced lawyer will work hard to prove the other driver caused the collision by presenting evidence supporting the claim.
- Damages: You may be entitled to one or more categories involving damages to yourself, your vehicle or both. Losses that a victim has suffered as a result of the truck accident can qualify as recoverable damages.
Common Truck Collision Injuries
Because trucks are big, heavy and slower to stop than other vehicles, a collision can result in serious personal injury. A few of the most common physical consequences of a truck accident include:
- Head injuries. These can include fractures of the skull and face, a concussion, loss of consciousness or in extreme cases, traumatic brain injury, which can have long-term medical consequences.
- Whiplash. The jarring motion at the moment of impact can jerk the head back and forth, resulting in whiplash of the neck.
- Internal injuries. Sudden impact from a large vehicle can easily damage internal organs and cause internal bleeding, which can be fatal if left untreated.
- Crush injuries. If your vehicle is hit hard enough, you may be crushed, causing internal bleeding or broken bones.
- Wrist injuries. While this may not be the first thing a person thinks of, wrists can be broken or sprained while clutching the wheel during an accident.
- Airbag impact. Airbags save lives, but they can cause bruising, especially if a seat belt is not properly worn at the time of the accident.
DO YOU KNOW YOUR RIGHTS? CONTACT OUR KNOWLEDGEABLE ATTORNEYS TODAY
Why You NEED a Lawyer on Your Case
Some people attempt to pursue compensation from the accused party on their own. This can be risky and may result in your claim being significantly reduced or even rejected by the insurance companies. Here are the benefits of having a knowledgeable attorney on your side:
- You may receive a better compensation result. Industry data shows that people who hire a lawyer earn three times the compensation as people who go it alone. Experienced lawyers know how to negotiate with the liable party's insurance company and are experts in the law pertaining to truck accidents.
- You’re working with a team who knows what you’re going through. The right Whittier law group knows how to help you avoid potential delays or pitfalls of processing a claim.
- Your case can be settled faster. Our attorneys know what to file, when to file the documents, and how to communicate with insurance companies and judges so your case gets settled faster.
Let us handle your truck accident claim. Know your legal options and how affordable hiring the right lawyer can be! We are ready to fight for your rights.
Why Greenleaf Law Group Is Your BEST Option
Greenleaf Law Group is an award-winning law firm that excels in helping clients just like you. We know what you’re going through. Our Whittier truck accident attorneys are here to recover the compensation you deserve.
You’ll receive all of the following:
- Personal, caring, and professional handling of your case.
- 24/7, on-call communication if you need us.
- Years of experience handling truck accident claims.
- Free Consultations
- A 99% case success rate.
- ONLY pay us if we successfully settle your claim for you.
If you’ve been the victim of an accident involving a commercial truck, contact Greenleaf Law Group. Seek legal help now.
CALL OUR LAW OFFICE TODAY FOR A FREE CONSULTATION
You never pay a fee unless we win your case for you, and we’ll never receive more financial compensation than you do. We always put accident victims first – so you can get back on the road and back to your normal life as quickly as possible.